Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Alea Wren is 3!!




*Alea is 3!!! She had her 3rd birthday party last Saturday the 7th with her family and a couple of friends. We borrowed a huge water slide from her friend Vincent and the kids had a blast on it. Alea has talked about turning 3 for weeks and "now, she says, I'm three" as she holds up the last three fingers on her hand. The theme for her party this year was butterflies. I thought it appropriate as she has grown into such a beautiful little girl over the last few months. She has been described lately as being charming and delightful. I would have to agree and am so amazed at how beautiful she is on the inside as well. I couldn't be more proud of her.

One of her favorite gifts this time around was a Melissa and Doug wooden cookie baking set. It is adorable. I think I have just as much fun with it as she does. There is a cookie cylinder (just like Pillsbury) and when you slide the wooden dough out the pieces are all stuck together with hook and loop. It comes with an oven mitt, wooden knife, spatula, and baking pan. You can actually slice the dough pieces away from each other with the knife and place them on the cookie sheet (again with hook and loop). You pretend to place the wooden cookies in the oven, bake and then decorate them with wooden icing attached again with hook and loop. We must have "sliced", "baked" and "decorated" those cookies a hundred times. This gift is a definite must for any three and older little girls that you might know.

Among the many pretend play gifts she received was a mini mop, broom and dust pan as well as several tutu's, leotards and ballet slippers. She had a really exciting time at her party with her family and friends and has enjoyed playing with all of her new toys since then. I have to say that this was, by far, my favorite birthday celebration with her now that she understands what is happening and gets excited for her special day.

*The summer is almost over and wow has it been a hot one. It's been in the upper 90's and low 100's for about 2 weeks now and we are all about to lose it. It's so hot and dry that the grass is turning brown and watering flowers is almost useless. It's so hot that the kids can't really play outside for very long. The pool or sprinkler can offer a bit of relief but a retreat into the house is a must after a while. To beat the heat we've eaten lots of Popsicles and consumed massive amounts of water and tea. We've visited several splash pads, the YMCA pool and played in the water hose on the back porch. I'm ready for the worst to be over and am already looking longingly toward Autumn.

I'll post more pictures of Alea's party soon.

No comments: