Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart" --Author unknown

This is a random post but I just want to say how much I love the show SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I've watched it from the beginning and am now into season 5 which airs on FOX Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7 pm. It's My summer show. When my fall line up winds down and TV viewing becomes less frequent, I enthusiastically tune in twice a week to watch extremely talented dancers do their thing.

Yes, sometimes the costumes are a little non existent, the judges can be a little annoying (Mary Murphy) and the choreographers can be a little eccentric but all of that is excusable when the dancing starts. I'm not sure exactly why I LOVE this show so much except for the fact that it just makes me happy! I love that these talented young dancers are given the opportunity to express thoughts and emotions that cannot be expressed in any other form. For example, music is a way to convey feelings and emotions, and a person who composes or sings or plays an instrument can interpret them through song. BUT...even beyond that, sometimes a great song can bring forth feelings that cannot be communicated in words. The desire to tell someone what it does to you deep inside is present without the means to fully verbalize it. Dancing can successfully communicate those emotions without having to use words, it's speaks a language all on it's own.

I'll be honest, I cannot dance to save my life. I took a few ballet and tap classes when I was very young which never really amounted to anything. I even tried again in the 7th grade, daring to get back in the studio to royaly make a fool out of myself in a VERY basic jazz class. I got it all wrong. The reflection in the mirror was a constant struggle turning me completely backwards most of the time and my confidence level was minimal to say the least. I held out through the atrocious recital performance and I, upon it's conclusion, ran out the door never to look back. It was just bad news all around, however, that desire to express myself through that medium was and still is present in me even though I'm not any good at it.

Don't worry, I don't have any plans to communicate with anyone through dancing anytime soon. (Phew...says Wren) I'll just continue to enjoy watching other people dance and hope to catch a glimpse (even if it's a small one) into what they are trying to say through their art. I tip my hat to all the dancers and choreographers who work so very hard to do what they do so very well.

This is one of my favorite routines from SYTYCD season 4. 
Dancers: Joshua (winner of season 4) and Katee
Choreographer: Mia Michaels



No comments: