Thursday, June 19, 2008

Grandma over Mommy?

I experienced the other day what my sister had talked about experiencing with Cora and her Grandma.  As most of you know, my sister and her husband moved back from Durham England a little earlier than expected.  Mostly because God decided to bring Cora into their lives and when a baby enters the picture, things change.  Casey and Sarah found that, in moving back to the states, he could continue to pursue his PhD and Sarah could stay home with Cora.  Financially this has placed them, temporarily, in my parents home where Cora has been able to spend lots of quality time with her Grandparents.  Sarah has mentioned that, and I have witnessed, Cora favoring her Grandma even when Sarah is in the room.  This may be perfectly normal.  Cora knows and loves her mummy but when Grandma enters the room it's spoil time.  I believe that it is EVERY grandma's right to spoil their grandchildren so Sarah and I are happy that our mom has had the opportunity to do it at such close range, however, it is a little strange to see your daughter choose someone else for comfort over you.  The other day at church Alea had a hard time in the nursery.  She had one of those days where she cried more than not and when Wren went to get her, her little eyes were all red and her face was clammy.  Wren brought her into the choir room where I was talking to my parents after the service.  I immediately wanted to hold her and comfort her, and she initially came to me and gave me a little smile, however, as soon as she saw her Grandma, her little bottom lip went out again and she reached as far as she could from my arms to get to her.  As soon as she was with Grandma the world was good again.  Even though that was a strange thing to experience, I am so glad that Alea recognizes her family and can be comforted by them.  Wren and I feel that this is one more BIG reason that God brought us back home.  We all are so glad that Alea and Cora are close enough to have real relationships with their families AND it does a whole lot of good for us as well. 

2 comments:

Dee said...

Bless you! I so enjoy your Happenings! You are so talented with such a sweet Christian Spirit.

I wanted to share with you that I had the same feelings when my daughter, Jennifer, who would always run for my Mom. Even though I tried to look at it as you do, I was still jealous. This was my precious daughter who I wanted to have this special relationship with. Now that my Mom is with The Lord, I think of this often with regret that I didn't embrace my Mom and my daughter in His Love so we could all share together. I think I subconsciously held it against my Mom which caused me not to have the right attitude towards her.
I now know that a Mom can never be replaced. God has given them the #1position no matter what.
May JESUS continue to Bless You and Your Family with The Treasures from His Heart.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I enjoy all of your stories but this one pulled at my heart. I remember many times when my children wanted my mom instead of me. I enjoyed watching their interaction and the way my mom's eyes would light up. I don't remember feeling hurt by that but I also don't think I appreciated it as much as I should. I thank God for the time you and Wren spent away from us, even though it was so hard, because it does make me so appreciative of the time with you both and especially Alea. I love you all and keep writing. Mimi