We are packing up to go to the lake for the day. I am reminded over and over again of how much STUFF you have to take when you have a child. There is no more waiting until the last minute to walk out the door, and multiple trips to the car with STUFF are required. I always said I'd never be one of those parents with kids STUFF all over the house, but somehow it's not that way. I'm always afraid of getting somewhere and not having everything that I need, therefore her diaper bag is packed full and weighs at least 150 pounds. Every time I go through the diaper bag to lighten the load I think, "no, I need that........and that...........and she might need that...........oh, and I'd hate to get somewhere and need that", hence a 150 pound diaper bag and sore shoulders. The scenario that always flashes in my mind is a giant snow storm, me and Alea stranded in the car with snow piled all around, no cell phone service and no heat. The question?.....Do I have everything I need to survive for a few days? I know, it's very dramatic and 100 percent impossible since we've started having regular temps that have been in the 80's, however, one can never be too prepared for a survival situation. All that to say, we are packing for the lake and it I'm realizing that it may be time for a bigger car.
Speaking of bigger cars, Wren and I heard somewhere that gas prices may be increasing to $6 a gallon this summer. If that's the case, we may not be driving anywhere outside of town. In some ways I can see this being an advantage, because somehow our country needs to learn to be less dependent on foreign oil. You wonder if people won't just continue to drive huge cars, and live above their means in order to maintain an independent lifestyle. I will admit that there are parts of the country that would find it very difficult to get around without a car (e.g., the area's where there is no public transportation or even cities that have been designed around the use of a car). In fact, Tulsa was rated extremely low for being pedestrian friendly. There has been talk of adding a rail system for public transit, but as the city has been designed this would be very difficult. Most Americans, me included, just don't think long term about things. We seem to be so comfortable in being a rich country that we don't think or plan for "but what if". One small example of not thinking ahead would be when my sister and I were talking about the 11 year old neighborhood that my parents live in and that if everyone who moved in 11 years ago had planted just one tree it would look like a completely different place. It would be better for the environment and would increase the value of every home. I don't mean to be negative, I just realize that I need to change my perspective a little and start thinking about the future when making everyday decisions. Sometimes that means giving up the biggest and the best in the here and now. It can also be very freeing at the same time. Anyway, I didn't expect to write this much but, hey, isn't that what blogs are for? Oh, we're also picking up copies of Alea's new spring pictures this weekend which you can view under our photos link to the right. Hopefully we'll get some more good ones of the lake trip.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment