Saturday, May 3, 2008

Who needs the movies when you've got Alea




I am excited that Alea is finally showing some interest in books.  I've been collecting children's books for years in anticipation of sharing them with my children and I've been reading them to her since she was born.  Over the past few months I've watched her become more and more aware of our reading time and have watched her go from trying to reach for the book to turning pages and pointing to (and licking) the illustrations.  Right now the only ones we let her choose from are board books because she would shred anything else with her quick little fingers.  One of her favorites is a book called "What do you say" by Mandy Stanley.  It's bright and simple and, of course, Alea gets to hear her mommy and daddy attempt to make the animal sounds prompted by the book......how could that NOT be entertaining?  The other favorite is her bedtime book.  After we read her bible story (from "The Big Picture Story Bible" by David Helm) we sit in the rocker and read "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star/Golden Slumbers" by Amanda Wallwork.  It's not that exciting in the way of colors or pictures but there is a page with a cut out in the middle of the book that Alea can't get to fast enough.  Night after night she quickly turns to this page and flips it back and forth while sticking her hands, fingers, nose or lips through to the other side.  I'll be sad on the day she's not interested anymore, however, I'm sure she'll be doing something else just as funny by then.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, Wren, and Alea. I just stopped by to check on your "Happenings". Hope you guys are doing well....and I enjoyed reading about Alea's favorite books.

Bryan